Andy Cowan is a research assistant on the evidencing the Social Return of Investment in Age-Friendly Communities project.
Andy has worked in on a variety of research projects in Cambridge since 2011, including EPIC (European Prospective Investigation in Cancer), the Hospice at Home Evaluation and on a series of systematic reviews on frailty, dementia and disability for NICE and Public Health England. He recently helped develop research resources and a minimum data set for care homes as part of the DACHA study and is part of the CanTest collaborative, exploring cancer diagnostic testing in primary care. Previously a magazine editor and publisher, he freelances as a music metadata specialist and is MOJO magazine’s jazz columnist.
- Peryer G, Kelly S, Blake J, Burton JK, Irvine L, Cowan A, Akdur G, Killett A, Brand SL, Musa MK, Meyer J, Gordon AL, Goodman C. (2022). Contextual factors influencing complex intervention research processes in care homes: a systematic review and framework synthesis. Age and Ageing. https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afac014
- Lee C, Parker G, Buckner S, Mattocks C, Barnes A, Oliver EJ, Cowan A, Lafortune L. (2022). Neighbourhood planning, rural ageing and public health policy in England: a case of policy myopia?. Town Planning Review. https://doi.org/10/3828/tpr.2021.39
- Lee C, Kuhn I, McGrath M, Remes O, Cowan A, Duncan F, Baskin C, Oliver EJ, Osborn DPJ, Dykxhoorn J, Kaner E, Walters K, Kirkbride J, Gnani S, Lafortune L. (2021). A systematic scoping review of community‐based interventions for the prevention of mental ill‐health and the promotion of mental health in older adults in the UK. Social Care in the Community. http://doi.org/10.1111/hsc.13413
- Lee C, Burgess G, Kuhn I, Cowan A, Lafortune L. (2020). Community exchange and time currencies: a systematic and in-depth thematic review of impact on public health outcomes. Public Health. https://cutt.ly/LrizTyl
- Lafortune L, Buckner S, Mattocks C, Cowan A. (2019). Developing monitoring and evaluation options to support the UK Network of Age-friendly Communities: A report for the Centre for Ageing Better. Poster
- Kelly S, Olanrewaju O, Cowan A, Brayne C, Lafortune L. (2018) Alcohol and older people: A systematic review of barriers, facilitators and context of drinking in older people and implications for intervention design. PloS One. https://bit.ly/2Fjoeyi
- Kelly S, Olanrewaju O, Cowan A, Brayne C, Lafortune L. (2017) Interventions to prevent and reduce excessive alcohol consumption in older people: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Age and Ageing. https://goo.gl/kiwWCE
- Kelly S, Martin S, Kuhn I, Cowan A, Brayne C, Lafortune L. (2016) Barriers and facilitators to the uptake and maintenance of healthy behaviours by people at mid-life: a rapid systematic review. PLoS One. http://bit.ly/1o2dICY
- Lafortune L, Martin S, Kelly S, Kuhn I, Remes O, Cowan A, Brayne C. (2016) Behavioural risk factors in mid-life associated with successful ageing, disability, dementia and frailty in later life: a rapid systematic review. PLoS One. http://bit.ly/20Z3uRK
- Lafortune L, Kelly S, Olanrewaju O, Cowan A, Brayne C. (2016). Changing risk behaviours and promoting cognitive health in older adults: An evidence-based resource for local authorities and commissioners. Public Health England. PHE gateway number: 2016427. https://goo.gl/SSBTYP
- Olanrewaju O, Kelly S, Cowan A, Brayne C, Lafortune L. (2016). Physical activity in community dwelling older people: a systematic review of Reviews of Interventions and Context. PLoS One. https://goo.gl/eisWmr
- Lafortune L, Martin S, Kelly S, Kuhn I, Remes O, Cowan A, Brayne C. (2014) Disability, dementia and frailty in later life: mid-life approaches to prevent or delay the onset of these conditions – Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of mid-life interventions for increasing the uptake and maintenance of healthy lifestyle behaviours and the prevention or delay of dementia, disability, frailty and non-communicable chronic diseases related to modifiable lifestyle risk factors. NICE Report: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng16